Skip to main content

January 2017 - goodbye Mollichaff, hello Hay-net.co.uk!

January 2017 – Thank you Mollichaff – you made 2016 special x
It’s our last blog post as Mollichaff Sponsored Amateur, and what a year it’s been.  I expect I would have done some of the things I did without being involved with Mollichaff, but it has amazed me how much having a blog to fill has focussed my mind on trying to get out and have experiences that I can share.  The only downside to that is that it would be a shame to slow down with no official blog to write.  So…I am going to carry on and do it just for myself.  It will be here:  https://beaubayou.blogspot.co.uk/



You get to the end of the year and think about what you’ve achieved, where you are now compared with where you were then, and it feels as though not much has changed.  Looking back through my blogs, on my 2016 with ponies, shows me though that actually lots has changed!  I used the bursary to work with some incredibly kind and talented trainers and so my relationship with Beau the legend has gone from strength to strength.  Something as small as just getting on and toddling round the school took forethought and planning this time last year.  Yesterday, I just did it and although the school was frozen so we could only walk, we achieved lots and both me and Grumps came out smiling.  I have also learned lots about my own head, and am going to have to work hard on things like riding as I would at home in dressage tests!



I need to mention that Beau, Simon’s horse Parker, and Tory’s horse Sardra are doing so well on Mollichaff that it’s now our preferred feed – so, Mollichaff, if you got nothing else from my ramblings you got at least 3 new loyal customers

We have had so much fun this year with dressage training, Team Quest, quadrille training and competition, sidesaddle, gymkhana games, a spot of jumping, Riding Club camps, Your Horse Live and lots of relaxed hacking.  I am with Churchill (with slight amend) when he said there is nothing so good for the inside of a [wo]man as the outside of a horse.  It’s my spiritual home, and always has been even though I’ve struggled with confidence and motivation quite a lot over the last few years.  Beau is my therapy. 

We also managed to make it to quite a few championships this year which is a first for me, with Tory and Sardra even winning the Veteran National Intro Dressage Championships!  I’ve written about the experiences on the day, it just remains to say how proud I am of Tory, and of myself, and how grateful I am to the patience of Megatrainers Amanda, Alison, Tracy, Jonathan, Jules and Ginny, and to the support and drive of Tory, Simon and Mrs Whipcracker for making it possible for me to have qualified at all!

Goals: updated for 2017 (NOT resolutions):
1.    Dressage:  The main focus is STILL to get 70% in a prelim test unaffiliated L! 
2.    Dressage again:  Having discovered that BD are allowing Team Quest members to compete affiliated at prelim – AND having coughed up for full membership for 2017, I am now aiming for regional festivals at novice – though I am not sure what’s involved in that yet
3.  Team Quest:  for 2017 it has to be regionals again for the Cherwell valley charlatans
4.   Side saddle: An intro dressage test ridden wonky J plus the Sidesaddle Association novice show in March
5.  Quadrille: Lots of theme ides already bubbling away for 2017, though unless clubs are allowed 2 teams this year we may not even be going L
6.   Jumping: A bit more bimbling about over tidgy XC fences and through water, over banks etc.  Beau is a legend at XC
7.       Posh dressage: Tracy to compete with Beau at Elementary – am looking for classes….

If you would like to, you can keep in touch with us with my own blog:  https://beaubayou.blogspot.co.uk/ 
On Twitter: @BeauBayou
Via www.Hay-net.co.uk:  in the Featured Blogger section

Maybe even start your own blog – and see just how far you’ve come

Much love, and thanks for sticking with us, Tam and Beau x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level