Skip to main content

March 2017 - all about sidesaddle - and my first podcast is coming!

Wonky day 12/2/17

on 12th February I attended a sidesaddle unmounted rally at Pittern Hill Stables by kind invitation of Roger Philpott and Ginny Oakley - who are the masters of all things sidesaddle!  The morning was spent in the (freezing cold) school, watching riders and horses of varying experience jumping a small grid.  We saw a lady who is new to jumping wonky but not new to wonky and her amazing horse.  Then 3 ladies (one of whom was partially sighted and who never moved in the saddle - perfect balance) who are intermediates jumping wonky though experts at sidesaddle.  Finally we were given a demo by a rider who has won sidesaddle rider of the year SIX times jumping a racehorse fairly new off the track.  A-maze-ing dahhhling, and in equal parts thrilling and fascinating to watch.  Lean your left shoulder towards your horses's right bit ring seems to be the key to not falling off!  And kick on because a long flat jump is much easier to sit than a showjumping style bounce upwards. By default Beau takes a stride out so maaaaaaaybe we will get to actually doing this.  In the afternoon we had a lecture on sidesaddle turnout and keeping your hippo clean for shows from a lady who has won just about everything sidesaddle and looks the dream in all her photos - beautiful.  There are way too many turnout rules for my tiny brain though, I can tell you.  The day was mostly about meeting other sidesaddle obsessives and chatting.  I made a lovely new friend, rekindled an old friendship with a lady who is also in CVRC, and learned that at the novice show in March there will be 3 of us riding in homemade habits :D (if we don't bail before then!!)



Habit construction

Step 1 - buy a cutaway jacket from eBay for £15.  I know that's cheating, but I work full time and there is a limit to my skill, time and  patience.  Besides, making a jacket would probably have cost me more than buying a brand new one by the time i'd replaced the fabric six times to correct my errors

Step 2 - find a pattern in an old book on the bookshelf.  Looks easy enough...and whilst searching for said book I came across one written by my now good friend Ginny, but which I bought before I knew her!




Step 3 - transfer the pattern to paper.  This bit was distressing (i had to measure myself) and took for EVER!  But I did it


Step 4 - Make apron from old sheet to practise.  Lucky I did this because I couldn't follow the pattern instructions without getting muddled, and the apron would not quite have covered my breeches!  Also there was not enough allowance for the hemming.  I am not blaming the pattern, I am 100% sure that my transferring (ambitious) measurements to brown paper was responsible

Step 5 - 19th Feb - make apron in real fabric.  Try to avoid assistance from the cat:
I was lucky enough to find a near perfect fabric match to my cutaway by buying samples off eBay for fabrics that looked similar.  All I need to do is try not to waste too much of it! 
Evening 1 was completed early when I realised I'd added darts backwards in my lining fabric and fell out with my sewing machine.  Tomorrow will be spent unpicking said darts...  I only have a month to do this!  I hope I can complete it and end up with something wearable for our wonky showing debut on 26th March.  Day two was spent unpicking darts and re-sewing. 
By day 3 I discovered that I had unpicked the WRONG darts and when I came to sew on the buttons (feeling very smug to have got so far) I realised I'd made the entire apron backwards!  If anyone reading this needs an offside apron you can have it if you collect/pay postage.  It's lovely heavy navy teflon coated polyester fabric and would be such a shame to just throw out :( contact me via twitter @beaubayou

Apparently this is a common mistake for first-time apron makers.  That is not a consolation! So, step 6 - start again!!  I bought a PROPER pattern from Penny Housden, Sidesaddlelady (thank you!) and have started again.  This one is far more complex but has actual written instructions so with luck and a following wind I may end up with a usable apron this time.  

I squeezed in a sidesaddle lesson before the Cherwell Valley RC Dressage competition (I was stewarding) and was chuffed with how Grumps went but les pleased with how much my core hurt!  My buddy Beverley was visiting from cheshire so she hopped on and finished the lesson in my place.  She’s a natural!  Megatrainer Ginny declared I had not done enough – my muscles disagreed ;) 

Quadrille
We've started!  We have a theme and have started coming up with ideas for the costumes.  We have a team change this year with Tory stepping down due to work pressures and instead supporting from the ground, and Mrs Whipcracker stepping in!  I can hardly wait to start writing the test and getting the music sorted (I bought the right CD from Amazon for 19p which was a very pleasing price.  And it turned up!).  Megatrainer Alison will be drilling us so we ought to be hoof perfect by October.  This year's theme is very dramatic :D


Combined training
Last year, as my regular readers will know, I made beau walk the jumping phase of the combined training.  I still melted down but I was embarrassed afterwards!  This year I have entered again (oops) and THIS time I plan to do it properly.  It's in April so I have weeks to wind myself up about it


Bad pony
Beau had a bad school report in Feb.  Megatrainer Tracy was riding him and leading Spotty Sardra, and he decided not to bother and tried to turn for home!  Luckily Sardra just stood and waited until Tracy had convinced him otherwise.  They then proceeded through about six sets of temporary traffic lights through roadworks, so clearly he wasn't THAT bothered!

Podcast
This is my 15 minutes of fame!  The lovely Amy from Horse hour has recorded a podcast of me wittering on about all the fun me, Tory, SImon and Mrs Whipcracker have with our horses.  Please have a listen and if you find even a tiny bit of it helpful or inspiring I will be overjoyed.  I am terminally terrified and completely neurotic but I don't let it stop me - and I almost always have lots of fun once I'm in the saddle!  The podcast will be aired at 8pm on Monday 13th March on Twitter at @HorseHour and later via http://www.horsehour.co.uk/  

Kit bag
On a general note - why does nobody make a decent carry bag to get stuff to shows nice and clean and organised?  I can buy a boot bag, a hat bag and a bridle bag, or a massive open bag for it all, but not one single bag with compartments so my bridle doesn't get dust from the boots, or my boots get covered in drool from the bit.  Sort it out equestrian industry!


Ambitions
No updates this time.  We've had lots of family stuff to sort out so riding opportunities have been practically zero, though I have 2 good friends keeping Grumps ticking over a couple of times a week for me so it won't be such a shock for him when I flop back into the saddle for two days of sidesaddle and dressage training coming next weekend 25-26 February!

Dressage:  The main focus is STILL to get 70% in a prelim test unaffiliated!

Posh dressage: Tracy to compete with Beau at Elementary – am looking for classes…

Dressage again:  Having discovered that BD are allowing Team Quest members to compete affiliated at prelim – AND having coughed up for full membership for 2017, I am now aiming for regional festivals at novice – though I am not sure what’s involved in that yet.  Mainly I'd like to end up at the Veteran and Draught Championships again

Side saddle: An intro dressage test ridden wonky  plus the Sidesaddle Association Novice Show in March

Quadrille: Lots of theme ideas already bubbling away for 2017, though unless clubs are allowed two teams this year we may not even be going

an extra one - Jumping: A bit more bimbling about over tidgy XC fences and through water, over banks etc.  Beau is a legend at jumpies but loves it a bit tooooooo much for me!  I have booked in some training before the competition so let’s see how that goes.  I should have started this Sunday (the last weekend in feb) but Storm Edwin put the dampeners on that
.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level