Skip to main content

September 2017 - Work Life Balance and Bucket Lists

Bucket Lists
Bucket lists are just targets - right?  They are a way of us recording what we want to do.  If we record aims and targets publicly, it makes it really hard to then NOT do what we can to achieve them.  Hence bucket lists are a way of making us get off the sofa and DO SOMETHING.  Children of the 70s will remember 'Why Don't You?', a programme that I found irritating as a child because you had to sit and watch TV to find out you were supposed to be out doing something less boring instead of sitting watching TV

On my bucket list aims (or goals as I prefer to see them), has been achieve 70% at dressage.  I started with the aim of getting 70% at prelim.  I figured at a lower level then we were working we ought to be able to do that.  I have managed 69%, but not 70 at prelim.  I didn't give up on my target but decided not to focus on it so much because it felt like self-inflicted pressure and frankly, there is quite enough of that at work for 5 days without adding to it  

So, as light relief, Tory and I decided this year to attempt pairs dressage to music.  Neither of us has scored highly at DTM in the past.  We decided it was because many judges only seem to enjoy your test if it is accompanied by 'The Entertainer', or the theme from Postman Pat.  So we decided to push the boundaries.  There is no reason for DTM to be stuffy and boring.  No reason that we could see for it to only be performed to classical pieces or MoR drivel.  The judge's aim is to assess the suitability of the music for the horse and its paces, and to judge a dressage test - not to judge the rider's taste in music.  Traditionally it's been said that lyrics should be kept to a minimum, but if the artist thought they were surplus to requirements they wouldn't be in the songs, and the songs themselves would lose their message.  So we left them in


Blenheim

Our test DTM was performed to the music we showcased at Blenheim Horse Trials this year.  The crowd seemed to like the music which included bands such as Jane's Addiction, Queens of the Stone Age and Snow Patrol.  The audience at a demo are not there to judge us but to enjoy what they see and be inspired to have a go themselves.  From the comments we got from people afterwards that goal was achieved!  The ethos is - if we can do it, anyone can  

When we rode as a pair in front of a judge we got some lovely comments about energy, togetherness, creativity.  We bickered all the way round (as sisters do) and rode well as a team, with some schoolgirl errors like transitions not quite together and one losing canter and the other not noticing and carrying on!  BUT - we scored 70%!  On the nose!  Both of us are so chuffed - one crossed off the goals/bucket/targets list :D And then to be able to repeat the performance in slippy grass in front of an audience was such a thrill.  We're really excited at the possibility we may be allowed to go back and play again next year.  The DTM demo has already led to more - watch this space! 




Work Life Balance
This brings me to the old work life balance conundrum.  Targets put pressure on us - we don't want to fail and so we try every which way to achieve them.  For how to work at personal targets whilst taking the pressure off see above!  However at work it's different.  I swap my time and skills for their money and there are certain expectations that go along with that such as professionalism, focus and ownership of tasks and issues

I won't go into boring details about my job, suffice to say it's been extremely challenging lately and although I have not worked unreasonable hours (you just do what it takes to get the job done), I have found that there's nothing left of me when I close the laptop.  It's difficult to motivate myself to ride, and all I want to do if flop onto the sofa with a bottle of wine and a straw

I am a great believer that if you're frustrated or stroppy, you just shouldn't get on a horse.  Beau appreciates this I am sure.  This has meant though, that this summer I have ridden after work only once.  It feels like a waste of a summer, though that's not true because I've made it up at weekends.  This in turn has meant that i spend my weekends rushing about trying to catch up on fun having had no 'me time' in the week, and wear myself out.  I am not sure if the phrase burning the candle at both ends can be applied to a whole season rather than one 24 hour period, but I've achieved it! 

This is a reflection, not a whinge.  I know I am very lucky to have a decent job and a fab pony and lots of opportunities which I try to grab with both hands.  

Equetech
Grabbing opportunities includes entering horsey competitions on Facebook and Twitter etc.  Earlier in the year I entered a competition to be in the next Equetech catalogue.  I am not pretty or photogenic so did't think i'd have a snowball in hell's chance of winning - but along with 3 other amazing ladies I did just that!  We were all invited up to Leicestershire for a day for a photo shoot this month.  We were dressed in two outfits - leisure and competition - and got to keep the clothes.  I already have Equetech clothes in my competition wardrobe so know them to be well designed for purpose and great quality.  I can't put into words what a thrill it was to be able to add to them! 

It was such a fantastic day.  We were treated like princesses with our hair and make-up done and people telling us we were gorgeous all day.  I could do more of that!  Equetech's MD, Liz, was so encouraging and friendly, the PR lady Ashley kept us all entertained all day, and the photograopher Jules put us all at ease and got some lovely shots

I won't be sharing any shots because they're top secret - but I can't wait to see them and hopefully help people realise that you can be slightly overweight and no whatsername Jolie and still look good in gorgeous Equetech clothes

Volunteering
Although there is lots of money in the horse world, not all of us have a share so it stands to reason that once we've paid our entry fees and lessons and diesel to get to a competition, there's nothing left to pay people to run shows - this is where volunteers come in.  It's so important to give a bit back to our sport whenever you can and I would encourage anyone to have a go at volunteering - especially for British Riding Clubs events where we are all looked after so well.  No prior knowledge is assumed and everyone is very friendly indeed.  And at Swalcliffe the cake is FAB!

This last month Tory and I fence judged at the BRC Horse Trials championships, and at the Lincoln National BRC Showjumping and Dressage champs.  We also had the honour of helping to judge the Caro Cripps side saddle dressage to music class at the Side Saddle Association National Championships which was great fun!

Moving up
Tracy and Beau finally got to do their Elementary dressage competition in August.  Beau was full of himself and not feeling very cooperative, so their score of 64% and 3rd rosette was a nice surprise!  I saw Steph Croxford's pony in the GP Freestyle at the Nationals last week having a 'disturbance at H'.  I reflected then that if a horse schooled to that level can be naughty, any of them can!

Quadders
As I type the times came out for the BRC Quadrille competition on 30th September just this afternoon.  So excited!  We have a dress rehearsal next week and then that's our lot until we get to Bury Farm.  Buy shares in gin now ;) 

TTFN.  Much love, Tam and Beau 

(who is in BIG trouble for jumping out of his field today over two sets of fencing, to get to his best mate who he doesn't even like that much!)

Comments

  1. Hey Tam and Beau, great to find your blog. My daughter, Pam, is in love with the horses and spends most of her time working for a trail riding company. Horses are our first (PAm) and second (mine) love . She even set up the small shop to earn money for financing her hobby. :) Looking forward to checking out more of your great blog. You will hear from us more! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level