Skip to main content

October 2017 - Quadrille Success!

Averageness
OK, so the title of my blog indicates where I am in the grand scheme - average.  It's nothing to do with modesty or lack of confidence, it's just the way it is and I am comfortable with it.  Why?  Because it means I can improve and my efforts are not for naught!  I may not be able to get over 70% at prelim yet, and I may still be a wet drip at jumping, but I'm trying and I reckon that's what it's all about

Just because you're not as good as Mary King or John Whitaker or Charlotte Dujardin doesn't mean you can't get out there and have fun!



Demonstrations


Having said that, who'd have thought I would ever need a blog section entitled 'demonstrations'!  The word is defined as: a practical exhibition and explanation of how something works or is performed.  This means people will be watching us to see how it's done.  Blimey. 
Tory and I are demonstrating pairs dressage to music at the next Moulton College Quest event on 9th Dec.  We have also been asked to display our DTM, and our Quadrille at next year's Blenheim International Horse Trials - a real honour and privilege, especially as they've seen us before!
Here we are ready to go at the BRC Qualifiers, and below in front of Blenheim House ready to do our demo in the Attractions Arena. 

This arena is a friendly and thoroughly interesting feature of Blenheim, all demos were  marvellous and my sidesaddle instructor and friend Ginny runs the every present Bit On The Side demo team so it's full of friendly faces!



Quadrille
Sadly this may be the last year ever.  Only 9 teams came forward this year and although it was as much fun as ever BRC has said that if there are fewer than 10 teams entered by 31st January 2018 the competition won't run.  That would be a complete disaster and we need every Riding Club to make a team and enter in January to make sure the fun continues!

This year was amazing.  We placed sixth in the competition itself with our Ride of the Valkyries theme.  A week later we got a call from BRC head office to ask if we would be happy to contest the final!  One of the qualifying teams had dropped out, and the fifth placed team were a) based near Aberdeen (Buchan RC), and b) borrowed Sardra in the qualifier as they had a pony with a poorly leg, so we were next in line.  

It was an amazing experience.  The lights, the incredible four-in-hand extreme carriage driving, the Shetland pony Grand National and the showjumping made it a fabulous evening even without getting to do our display to a packed house!  I have to say it was the worst we'd ever done it.  One of our ponies decided we were doing it too slowly and took it upon himself to gallop off and finish all the moves on his own in record time!  We held it together just enough though and pipped one team so we got third place.  
I have to say they are the biggest and best rosettes i have ever seen, and the CVRC championship rosettes are pretty special so that says a lot.
Ireland


Just before competing at the quadrille final, and i mean literally a couple of hours before, I was getting off a plane after a wonderful family holiday in Ireland.  We went to the West Coast and if you ever get the chance - go.  Loved it.  Thank you Mrs Whipcracker and Justina for getting Beau cleaned up and delivering him to me at Bury Farm in time to play!!

Quest
This year we haven't done much with Team Quest.  Cherwell Valley RC sent teams and individuals to regionals and nationals so they didn't miss us, but this season we're planning to try again and even see if we can move up a level

Affiliated dressage
I also plan to increase my competing at affiliated dressage competitions over the winter.  It's sufficiently outside my comfort zone to be challenging, but not too much for Beau's old legs.  I really really want to be getting consistently over 65% at novice by the end of the winter - let's see.  I strongly feel that until I get this dressage thing nailed then i won't improve at jumping enough to be a valuable team member for CVRC

Work Life Balance
This one is still a challenge - especially now we're into dark mornings and evenings and wet windy weekends.  Also Christmas is a massive deal in our family so time is spent preparing and getting pressies for everyone at this time of year.  Thank goodness for internet shopping!  Though some things have to be felt and examined before buying so I still have to venture out to the shops

Field Shelters
We treated all 3 horses to their own field shelter this year.  I can't be the only horse parent that lies awake at night listening to wind and rain and worrying if my horse is comfy enough.  This year they have a place to hide.  Sardra has her princess boudoir, Parker has his shed and Beau has his man-cave.  Sardra likes to itch on hers so we had to install water collectors to protect the drain pipes!

CVRC Dressage
Well now it's winter Cherwell Valley RC is running indoor dressage. monthly on a Saturday morning.  I love competing here because it's so relaxed, friendly, helpful and inclusive.  This month I was brave enough to try an Elementary test, and Tory tried Novice.  We figured we can do all the moves at home so ought to be able to to put them all together into a test.  Well mine was a bit of a 'must try harder'.  We lost canter in a loop, the leg yields can best be described as wiggly wanders, and the 15m circles were simply not ;)  But, I take a small victory in knowing that I at least now know where we went wrong and I also know how I can fix it next time.  So in November I will continue with the public humiliation and try again to see if I can better my score of 56.33%.  The class scores ranged from 58-62% ignoring mine (I was last), which made me feel a little better

RB Grand Opening
We are lucky enough to have a marvellous huge tack shop just down the road in Milton Keynes called RB Equestrian.  They have recently made-over their store, and this weekend was the Grand Opening.  They have done a lovely job, it feels like browsing through an equestrian Selfridges (without the silly price tags) now!  Good job RB!

Bonfire night
As a kid I loved fireworks.  As an adult I see the impact they have on the animals and wish oh wish they were illegal to sell other than to organised displays.  I am sure I don't need to plead with my readers - don't have a fireworks party at home, and please please don't use Chinese lanterns under any circumstances.  There is always a good chance an animal will suffer for your few seconds of fun, so just don't

Vets air ambulance ball
Our local vets is holding a ball in November in aid of the Air Ambulance.  Well with such a good cause it would be rude not to, right?  More on that next month if I remember ;)

Equetech

My fabulous Equetech clothes are still going strong.  I may need to be soaked out of them in paraffin before long ;)  I can heartily recommend - such good quality and completely fit for purpose.  nice one Liz and the team!  Also, in December's issue of Horse and Rider magazine, there we all are!  So cool, and what an experience :D



TTFN.  Much love, Tam and Beau 
Who has a new bridle to wear now, and is still the grumpiest most awesome pony ever

Comments

  1. I LOVE the name of your blog; I'm a tiny bit jealous I didn't think of it first ;) I would like to point out that us average riders may be a little less expert than half the people out there, but we are also ahead of the other half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead right! And you know what the most important thing is - we are trying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level