Skip to main content

Training at Talland Part 2

Talland Part 2
So, having been down to the glorious Cotswolds for one Talland lesson, Tory and I set off the following weekend to go do it again!  

We had our physio - Ann Loach - to our horses at 7am, and abandoned them at 8am for Mrs Whipcracker to put back out.  We had to leave for our 10am lesson.  This was too tight!  We only just made it - arriving at Talland with just 5 minutes ot spare.  I will be making sure we leave earlier next time because it's so hard to get into the right open, calm frame of mind when your adrenaline is pumping from the drive down!


This time I was riding a different horse, equally tall and equally well schooled. This one was called Whizz which I think is an instruction more than a description 😉 sweet mare. Tory was riding the same horse as last time. This time we brought our spurs!  The school horses are so sweet to ride, they are not whizzy or light but they are responsive and very reliable.  

We aimed this time on working on contact which is my bugbear certainly.  I have got into the habit of a very light contact which turns into none at all with every step.  My instruction was thumbs on top and grip the reins whilst being elastic with the mouth.  

Last time my eureka moment was seeing my right leg in the arena mirrors - trying to find my right ear.  This time it was about lateral work and the positioning of my leg and timing of the aids.  We played at half pass and leg yield and the finer differences between them. We also played at travers and shoulder in and on flexion and flexing.  All so so valuable.  The really big thing I am learning is that it is quite subtle.  Sounds daft but shoulder in should not feel like skidding sideways and half pass needs preparation, not just grab and kick! Poor Beau, I will get there buddy! 

I thoroughly thoroughly recommend going here for a lesson, however experienced or good you are. Tory and I have booked in again in November as a pre-Christmas pressie to each other, and the time after that we hope to ride an elite horse too.  I am going to go down there with a list of questions to ask Hilary, and I am going to try to think of a single simple focus.  I think one eureka moment is priceless and don’t want to be greedy.  The big question is in what order should I fix things?

In between times Tory and I took Beau and Stella to our first group BD. Stella won the prelim and the music and Beau was second in both! Interesting because I rode Stella in the prelim and Tory rode her in the music class.... when we get the hang of her she will be a stormer! 
We just have to get her to quit being a stormer out hacking (so Beau can keep up) and she will be just about perfect!



Love and hugs

Tam and Beau x




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an