Skip to main content

July 2017 - getting braver?

Pony fun

This month has mainly been about just having fun.  Work is challenging at the moment and the cobwebs build up to such an extent in the week that weekends have become even more precious to me (if that's even possible).  We've hacked and trained and I've even tidied the tack room!  That led me to realise that the next big purchase has to be a secure saddle locker.  If I can find one that I can just wheel into the lorry on competition days so much the better.  I gave up on my search for the ideal equestrian luggage - it doesn't exist!

Dressage

Beau and me, Tory and Sardra, Sandra and H and Groomio Simon went off to the Area 5 dressage qualifiers this month.  We all did the prelim test (none of us qualified though Beau and me managed 7th in our arena, and our team was 5th).  Tory and I also attempted our first pairs test which was such good fun!  Somehow things are always better as part of a team.  The test is a small arena variation on the one we're going to display at Blenheim.  Some work to do before then...

Protechmasta

I am still amazed at the Protechmasta rug and bonnet - they really seem to make a difference to Grumps when we're out and about.  Here are he and Sardra modelling them!



Blenheim

In an attempt to create some interest around our upcoming display (Sponsors welcome - we are very happy to be emblazoned with logos!) I created a couple of little trailers :D  Have a watch here:

https://www.facebook.com/tamasine.thompson/videos/10155017257332261/


and here:


https://twitter.com/beaubayou/status/884492764414709765


The music for our displays is being created by a marvellously talented company called Equidance.  You can find them on Facebook.  They not only create music to your video, but can also supply a little speaker you strap to your wrist for practise.  No more trying to lug the old boombox out info the arena with 20 metre extension cables; and no more straining to hear your CD from the open car door!


https://www.facebook.com/equidance/


We've chosen our favoured tracks :D ...
Jonty Evans and Art 


In the horsey news this month we heard that Jonty Evans may lose his top ride and partner cooley rorkes drift.  In response, Jonty has set up a crowd fund page to try and raise 
the funds to buy him.  He has a preferential price from the current owners, and the only proviso 
is that he has to raise a massive amount of money before mid-August.  
I have donated the amount I would pay for a lesson from Jonty.  If we all did the same not only
would Jonty keep Art, but we'd all own a piece!  #thepeopleshorse

https://www.jontyandart.com/


Fame

This month Simon and Parker were emblazoned across YourHorse magasine, and Beau made it into Horse and Hound's Twitter feed!



Horsehour podcast


A couple of weeks back Amy at #Horsehour held a really difficult podcast.  She asked me to participate but my IT at home let me down (narrowband) so I couldn't.  In retrospect I was glad about this because it was a really tough topic, though one we should talk about.  It was about losing your best friend, and what it feels like to have to make the decision when the time is right.  I have lost friends over the years and though it gets easier to talk about i still miss and love them.  Some very sage advice came up on the twitter feed and it provoked some lovely memories

Purple Pants


https://twitter.com/BeauBayou/status/885967463732609024



Whilst on a roll I also made a film in honour of Simon's marketing activities for Derriere Equestrian ;)

James Burtwell lessons

To follow on from last month's James Burtwell lesson - and as if one was not enough - we had another!  This time he travelled up to us and gave us all a thorough workout in the comfort of the arena.  I learned more to STOP FIDDLING and found that if i basically ignore the front end and ride loads of transitions within paces, it sorts itself out.  A revelation.  James also said that Beau and I need to do some stamina work.  Wish me luck!  

SJ qualifier (80!) OMG
In preparation we went to the marvellous Hothorpe Equestrian and hired their school for an hour.  4 of us went (I count me and Simon doing halves as 1 person) and ALison was there to keep a lid on us all.  All ponies were amazing - so so good - and jumped everything including a treble!  My confidence has been done lots of favours by doing that.  I even managed not to melt down - until I got off and then i allowed myself tears and snot whilst Simon carried on on Beau!  To the competition - we did it.  Some of it anyway.  I foolishly entered the Style Jumping as well as the 80 thinking it would be a good warm up.  However, it had rained heavily in the week leading up to the event, and the Style Jumping was on grass which made it slippery.  This worried me knowing the pace Beau would be going by the end of the course!  I walked the course, and knew the jumps would be no issue, neither would the figure of 8 in canter beforehand.  Style Jumping is some kind of dressage/rider test with jumps in it.  Beau is an exocet missile jumping so I ride him in a Myler combination for emergency braking - this has two sets of reins and I knot the bottom set for emergencies only.  I didn't think i could a dressagey thing properly unless i was holding both sets of reins so I toook hold and the whole thing turned into a battle - with some changes behind, hurling himself at jumps and finally canter piaffe in front of the double so I had to turn away and try again.  I retired after the double because it was doing neither of us any good.  Our round in the 80 was too slow and because i was holding on we had one down.  It wasn't scary in itself, but i was already scared.  Cue metldown and i realised i was incapable of round 2 so again retired.  My luck, however, has held, because for the second time this year we will be going to a BRC Championship having been the dropped score on an amazing team!  Let's see how that goes.  My head needs some work beforehand








Saddle shopping

So I found a gorgeous dressage saddle, and hopefully will be bringing you more news next month - if everything goes to plan!  Reflecting on how much my hobby costs me, i did lay out the kit you need for just a hack and realised it's no wonder that although I work hard I am still always broke.  Just look at it all!



Ambitions

Dressage:  70% still not attained :'( although we haven't done much in the way of dressage so that's ok ;)

Posh dressage: Tracy to compete with Beau at Elementary – August 12th is the big day.  I will be wearing a posh hat and heels I think - I'm sure owners do that at competitions so you can tell they're not the ones washing and plaiting (which actually I will be)

Dressage again:  I seem to be mainly jumping at the moment!

Side saddle: Next dressage outing still tbc - see dressage for why!  

Quadrille: Lots of practise done and music almost devised along with the test.  The thing we have yet to do is sort costumes...

Jumping: Having now completed 2 competitions with no tears and no snot (with a step backwards at the Qualifiers) I feel as though I can start building on those experiences and getting better...watch this space for a report of the BRC SJ Championship at the beginning of September.  Eep!
.

TTFN and much love, Tam and Beau xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level