Skip to main content

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair?

This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears!

Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/

Centaur Biomechanics


I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.  
Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/

The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.  The speaker was Charlie Unwin, a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level and helped many top flight sportspeople achieve their best


The first talk was entitled Brain Versus Body = Mind Over Matter, the second U versus U – How U Can Be Your Best, and his final offering was 5,4,3,2,1 – GO! Coping With Last Minute Pressure.  The learning i took out of these sessions has half filled my notebook, and will have to be the subject of their own blog, or this one will read like a novel!


After the psychology lessons, we got to see Strike a pose – perfect position exercises on the lunge.  Centaur's own Russell Guire presented, with Jade Clarke the mounted victim.  All of the exercises we saw were designed to prove and improve seat, balance and posture.  I just need to find someone daft enough to lunge Beau whilst I try them


We then learned about active sitting -  Improving your posture on and off the horse from David Newbound.  We all got to try little seat pads on a ball which encourage you to find your natural balance instead of slouching as we almost all do when sat on a chair - and I am definitely doing now.    

After lunch there was a brilliant 'carousel session' where several learning stations were set up, and in or groups we had a taster of each before moving onto the next.  They covered Does your bit and bridle fit…. Di Fisher, On your marks, get set, GO! Carys Jackson;  Survival packs for riders – nutrition & hydration Julie Scott Douglas; Pilates for riders – improve your stability Lindsay Wilcox Reid; Be your horse’s gym buddy Dr Tracey Crook; and Banish the Bounce – are you supported? Lorna Cameron

In between all the sessions there was a breakout room where we could talk to some very leaned people in the horsey world including my good friend and rider biomechanics expert Julia La Garde, who was there representing Sync Thermology - check out their incredible work here:  http://www.syncequine.com/

A really fascinating, informative and well rounded day.  I would highly recommend anyone attending their next session, well worth it and really helpful

Lucky socks - an important lesson 


As a teenager, I had some lucky socks.  I believed I could not jump a fence unless i was wearing them, and even though they were fluorescent yellow and my boot invariably stayed in the stirrup when i fell off - which was most competitions - I still had to wear them.  Fast forward a couple of years to me as an adult (allegedly).  I have some of those thin nylon socks for under long boots and THEY are now lucky.  Except there are 2 pairs and I can never remember which are lucky.  Also, they have to be teamed with Batman socks or the luck falls out.  I paid particular attention to the socks over the course of qualifying for, and competing at, the BRC Festival of the Horse.  I discovered that I may have lucky socks, but it's not the socks themselves, it's the fact that once installed I don't have to waste brain space on thinking about them!  The important lesson is that these rituals may seem silly and pointless, BUT, it's all about your state of mind in competition (once you have learned the physical part) and if socks help, use the lucky socks!

Working horses in the hot weather


It's been a warm few weeks, and it's been a concern that it's just been too hot to ride.  Beau is 20 now, and I need him to keep doing what he does for as long as possible, so I am pretty averse to taking any risks with him.  I found the following article useful:  How hot is too hot to ride?

It says: "As a very general rule, you can gauge if it’s too hot to ride by adding the actual temperature to the percent of humidity.  For a 90 degree day with 85 percent humidity, the total is 175, not to mention a very bad frizzy hair day. If that number is 140, 150, 180 or above, it’s too hot to ride" 

Alison and Neptune at the BD regionals


Tory and I were very proud to take our figurative pom-poms watch Alison and Neptune at bury Farm this month.  They nailed the Elementary arm-up and then SMASHED their DTM class.  They were the only combo to match paces to music and mood and it really was a pleasure to watch.  The previous day they had scored a 65+ in their first Medium test together.  Definitely a partnership that is going places!


Bolesworth Day

Bolesworth International is held every year in Cheshire.  I was lucky enough to be given some tickets to go, and since my parents and many of my old friends all live there, off we went dragging Alison with us

Unluckily a stone broke my windscreen on the way up.  I say unluckily, but it meant Mum had to drive us to the show so I could hit the Prosecco bar :D 
We had such a fab day shopping and watching the jumping.  We all picked up a Harry Hall gift bag from their stand, and I treated Beau, Parker and Sardra to a Harry Hall Protechmasta Poll Guard to see if they are as magic as the amazing Protechmasta rugs


It was really fab to spend the day with Mum and dad, and to meet up with two very special buddies who i don't see nearly enough of - lots of love to Beverly and Jen!
 

Laura Mary Art


As brand ambassador for Laura Mary Art I am chuffed to bits that she has started to make her gorgeous bits and bobs available in tack shops!  Hopefully more news on this next month :) in the meantime here's a taster of the gorgeous sunny items you can buy to brighten up your home:  
I have the Hare giclee print, the Piggy mug and the Honeysuckle and Jasmine candle brightening up our lounge



James Burtwell lessons


Coach Alison had booked herself onto a training course with James Burtwell (you will be able to read the full scoop here soon) so Tory and I decided to go along for the ride at the beginning and end of Alison's week.  Beau and I travelled down to Hampshire on the first Sunday.  I had expected a challenging session and that's exactly what I got!  James has a unique talent to be able to get to the nub of an issue quickly, and offer a solution straight away.  He told me that Beau's dressage scores were suffering because I am fixated on the front end, and he can't use himself properly to work from behind and introduce more activity.  He also said that my warm-up strategy of stretching was actually hindering Beau because it was moving everything onto his forehand.  So my plan now is to work in by picking up the contact straight away and transitions transitions transitions until he is forward.  I hope my brain can keep up.  A really useful thing was the earpiece i wore which James spoke to me through - no more straining to hear in canter on a windy day!

I drove Beau home on the Sunday night, packed a suitcase and went abroad for a week with work, so apart from one hack the evening I got home, i have yet to ride Beau again and apply all of these lessons


There is no show without Punch, so the final Saturday saw Tory and Sardra travelling down for their turn.  Within 30 seconds James had identified ways to make Sardra appear more uphill, whilst the weaker muscles behind the saddle are built up with specific exercises.  He had Tory on a circle, and every time she went over the centre line make a transition between canter and trot.  Then they upgraded to a canter circle, and every time they went over the centre line 5 strides of trot and back into canter.  This really got Sardra working over her back and working really hard.  It showed afterwards ;)





SJ qualifier (80!) OMG

As my brave pants are more accessible, I have decided to keep trying to jump without tears and snot.  So...I entered the BRC Showjumping Qualifiers.  I will tell you afterwards if that was a mistake or not!  Since we did the 75 at combined training with no height issues, and since Beau has BE points with a previous (braver and much more talented) rider, we are doing the 80.  That might seem teensy but as I type it's a month away and my palms are becoming slick with the thought.  I will be trying to apply the teachings from the Centaur day and reprogramming my brain into believing it's fun and not terrifying!

Saddle shopping

Next week (early July) I have a saddle fitter coming out to see if we can find a dressage saddle that better suits me and Grumps.  I like my old Wintec but apparently it tips me forwards which can't be helping.  I have an extremely long thigh bone and Beau is short, which combination means that it may be challenging for the fitter to come up with anything. I have completely removed the blocks from my Wintec so i can fit my legs into the saddle.  I could just end up with a polo saddle!  Let's see what happens

Harry Hall One Club

I was lucky again this month (must remember to buy lottery tickets) and in a competition on Twitter won a year's membership to the Harry Hall One Club.  It's ACE!  Not only does it come with public liability and personal accident insurance, but you get a 30% discount off all these brands on their website:
  


Tory had already bought the incredible Protechmasta infrared rugs, which the ponies love.  Beau will never drink when out and about, and neither will he stale.  Within ten  minutes of wearing his Protechmasta rug he had done both.  I have checked it wasn't a fluke and used it each time we've had an away day, and each time it's worked a treat.  I have a much more relaxed and happy pony at events - and I hadn't realised he was stressed until we used the rug because he is so good away from home

New mantra


This could take the rest of my life but I love this phrase which I have shamelessly stolen:  Work until your idols become your rivals



Ambitions

Dressage:  Aaaagh that 70% in a prelim test seems so close and yet SO FAR!!  My patience is wearing thin now though my determination is not

Posh dressage: Tracy to compete with Beau at Elementary – August 12th is the big day.  I will be wearing a posh hat and heels I think - I'm sure owners do that at competitions so you can tell they're not the ones washing and plaiting (which I will be)

Dressage again:  Having discovered that BD are allowing Team Quest members to compete affiliated at prelim – AND having coughed up for full membership for 2017, I am now aiming for regional festivals at novice – though I am not sure what’s involved in that yet.  Mainly I'd like to end up at the Veteran and Draught Championships again.  Trouble is i have yet to enter a BD competition!  I seem to run out of time each weekend, and have to work in the week....

Side saddle: Next dressage outing tbc.  I was eliminated from the last attempt having scored too highly in prelim and therefore counted myself out of affiliated Intro.  I didn't realise or i'd have entered prelim, canter is easier than trot!  Lesson learned - check the rules

Quadrille: Entry in, theme devised, music chosen, costumes in progress, test written :D after I publish this blog I am getting straight down to mixing the first draft of the music

an extra one - Jumping: Having now completed 2 competitions with no tears and no snot I feel as though I can start building on those experiences and getting better...watch this space for a report of the BRC SJ qualifiers at the end of July.  Eep!


.

TTFN and much love, Tam and Beau xx

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so