Skip to main content

How to enjoy your horse

Putting your mind to it
In the pipeline is a blog about all of the amazing things we got up to in September, including BRC Quadrille, Blenheim Horse Trials demos and Beau, Sardra and Seamus being formally thanked for their participation in the Northampton town carnival parade.  Whilst i work on that though, I really felt I had to share my thoughts about how attitude and mindset really is everything in riding - and in general life

Where should we focus?
It's a dog eat dog world out there, and in between holding down careers, caring for families, trying to maintain a social life, shopping, cleaning and just looking after our horses, we sometimes lose sight of why we have horses - and that is to have fun!

We all start our lifelong passion with horses in different ways.  I was born with it even though my family was not horsey.  Some people take up riding later in life.  For some their dream is to have a pony and as soon as they have their own job they make it come true.  As well, many people stop riding for years, for various reasons, and then realise later it's all they want to do.  This level of passion exists because we enjoy riding, we enjoy being round our horses, we enjoy watching horses and we enjoy the company of other horsey people

As a kid i loved nothing more than the adrenaline rush brought on by riding hell for leather across country, regularly having the fastest time in competitions on a welsh pony (they really can run if they want to).  After a 15 year break, as a grown-up i find just getting on to be something of a challenge some days, so my cross-country days are probably over, but there are plenty of other activities that will give me the same rush.  So how did i find out what those activities are?

Rider Confidence
A couple of years ago I attended a Rider Confidence course run by the Centre for Horseback Combat.  The focus of this course was on mindset and included group hypnotherapy as well as giving us strategies for dealing with situations if they do arise, such as how to fall off safely.  We were taught to imagine everything going right, and focus on the outcomes we wanted so we could achieve them.  If you focus on what could go wrong, it is pretty much guaranteed to happen!  This course was the start of my journey into trying to understand how my own mind works in relation to riding.  And it is no exaggeration to say it got me back on a horse.

Happiness and our brains 
I found this blog by Christopher Bergland to prove my completely un-academic theories:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201211/the-neurochemicals-happiness

I have come to know all of the above gradually over my life, and now my sole aim in my free time is to increase the level of enjoyment i can have with Beau.  I understand that for me to have fun, he has to be having fun too.  Unfortunately for him, his greatest joy is galloping and jumping over fences, but at 21 and with a wet drip rider, we tend to do mostly dressage.  How can dressage possibly be fun I hear you cry?  Well, believe me it can, because it challenges you and makes the small victories so enjoyable.

So how do we have fun?
We do what we enjoy.  Each year, with my amazing Cherwell Valley team mates, we enter the BRC Quadrille Qualifier.  We are not dressage divas and we do everything ourselves.  It takes the whole year to come up with a theme, create costumes, build the floorplan and mix the music, and every second of that is fun (even when we all fall out!)

Occasionally I take to riding aside too, and it's challenging to do well and therefore very rewarding.  Beau has taken to it very well so we hack sideways, we have done dressage competitions sideways and we have even shown (that was a little too staid for me though, lots of standing around and then the challenge of waking Beau up again for the individual show without making him too cross)

In between times we attempt dressage to music.  The distraction of the music and having to concentrate to be at the right pace at the right time makes it fun.  I had a very sage piece of advise, which was to not have a floorplan but to wing it every time.  Now that is fun!  

Winning at life?
In all of the above, we are not setting the world alight.  I have yet to score over 70% even at prelim (though we have at novice, go figure) even though we can do all of the Elementary moves pretty well at home.  The team does not win at quadrille, I don't often come home with a ribbon and it's a hard slog to qualify for any championships.  But the journey is what's fun!  If i can come out of the arena feeling as though I had 3 strides of OMG Trot, or a smooth downwards transition, I'm happy.  On occasion i have had an appalling score, and some mean comments from judges, but have still been on top of the world because I know we have done well and our partnership has felt right in the test.  That's the key and all I ask

You may think I mustn't be naturally competitive.  That could not be further from the truth!  I really really want to win every time i go out, but I have learned that attitude actually sucks the fun from the competition.  It's all in the mind set and that's what helps me to be able to hold down a difficult job in the week, and still focus on what's key for my own mental wellbeing at weekends.

Learning about fun is FUN!
I wrote this blog : https://beaubayou.blogspot.com/2017/07/june-2017-its-all-about-socks.html last year having attended a fantastic Centaur Biomechanics seminar at Moulton College.  One of the key speakers was sports psychologist Charlie Unwin whose methods make perfect sense.  Luckily my coaches Alison Kenward and James Burtwell agree!  Alison in particular is helping enormously in changing my mindset and supporting all of the above whilst teaching me how to ride properly too!  

Beau appreciates all of this, which means I appreciate Beau and my happy hormones can flow freely...


...whatever we get up to 

Much love

Tam and Beau

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level